January 17, 2009

Obama DeathStar

CafePress took down another one of my images. This time it was one I had titled The Obama DeathStar. I do wonder how they decide which of their own rules to follow. Manipulation of someone elses logo is not allowed. I admit that is exactly what this is. But, I have have seen much lower quality parodys of other logos, such as Wal-Mart.

Update: I contacted Cafe Press asking about why my Obama DeathStar had to be removed while other similar designs were allowed. I specified two examples using the Obama logo and two using an images of the deathstar. Here is the reply I received:


Dear Daniel Magyar,

Thank you for contacting CafePress.com! As you may know, CafePress provides an automated service to a rich and vibrant community of international users. Unfortunately, because our service is automated, sometimes content that is not consistent with our Content Usage Policy is posted on CafePress. Another reason why the images in question may be up for sale is because certain shopkeepers have obtained authorization for the use of certain designs. We appreciate that you have brought this content to our attention and we will look into it. For more information please review our Content Usage Policy (http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/help/law.aspx), which is an accurate measure of what you can and cannot do through the CafePress service.

Best Regards,
Margene H.
Content Usage Associate

After I received this reply, I checked and both of the Obama examples I gave are still available. The deathstar ones are listed as "This Design is No Longer Available". Personally, I suspect the long arm of George Lucas.

No comments: